Vegan Spring Rolls!
Inspired by a need for healthy Chinese food…and the fact that it’s too damn hot to turn on my oven today! The key to this recipe is the sesame oil. You guys, it’s delicious! Such big flavor! I found some at Whole Foods, but Trader Joes and your regular grocery store will most likely have it!
2 large carrots (cut into matchsticks)
1 large leaf of Kale (shredded)
1/2 medium zucchini (cut into matchsticks)
1 medium red bell pepper (cut into matchsticks)
1/3 cup green onion diced
1/3 cup frozen peas
2 T cilantro chopped
1 T toasted sesame oil (MUST be toasted!)
**You might want to blanch the cut carrots and kale- ie dunk them in boiling hot water then plunge into a bowl of ice cold water. Makes the veggies easier to eat! But, it’s up to you if you want that super crunch of the carrot!
1) Throw all the veggies into a gallon ziploc bag.
2) Drizzle in the sesame oil and cilantro.
3) Allow to marinade on the counter for a good hour- flipping the bag occasionally
4) Follow the package directions on the spring roll paper (mine was easy- soak the paper for 20 seconds and you’re ready to roll!)
5) Scoop a decent sized handfull onto the roll and roll up like a burrito. No need to worry about it being pretty!
6) Put on the plate, throw some sesame seeds on top and place in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Serve with peanut sauce, hot mustard, soy sauce, or Tamari (for all my gluten free loves!).
I used this awesome chick’s peanut sauce! http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2010/06/fresh-vegan-spring-rolls-peanut-sauce.html